Everyone is looking for ways to save money during these challenging economic times. Many are brown bagging their lunches, car pooling and getting their hair cut and coloured less often. Wherever you’ve chosen to cut back, you still can keep yourself looking fresh and modern. Here are a few tips from Damien Carney, International Artistic Director for JOICO, on what you can do to look your best on a budget.
- Protect your hair from sun damage. The sun naturally lightens your hair and oxidises colour-treated hair. Look for products that shield your hair from harmful ultraviolet rays, so you can maintain your hair colour for longer.
- Treat damaged hair. Taking a few moments to repair your hair could be all you need to refresh your look. Try rich, creamy treatments that restore moisture and keep hair strong. It helps combat the damage caused by blow dryers, flatirons, relaxers, perms and colouring, enabling you to go longer periods of time between appointments.
- Maintain your colour at home. You can make your colour last longer by treating it right and choosing products designed to extend the life of colour. There are shampoos specifically designed to keep your colour from fading.
- Get the right haircut. If you’ve been yearning for long hair, now may be the perfect time to start growing out your cut. Cutting in choppy layers keeps your hair looking groomed and minimises the appearance of split ends. Set up an appointment with your stylist to discuss a look that requires minimal upkeep.
- More for less. Always check for larger sizes of your favorite products to make sure you are getting the most value for the money. Often you can get twice as much for just a few more dollars.
With a little forethought and planning, you can continue to look your best, while sticking to your budget.
Considering the best at-home treatments, choosing a cut and colour that works and protecting your hair from the elements, all go a long way to keep you current and solvent.